Creek Park 2019 Resident Survey
In the Winter of 2019 we launched a resident survey and collected over 500 responses from a broad cross-section of our community. We leveraged multiple outreach methods to make sure we received a representative sample of the community on their current use of San Anselmo’s Creek Park, downtown visits, & improvements they’d most like to see in a reimagined space.
The survey contained 22 questions & also provided various opportunities for open feedback or questions. The Town included multiple mentions in the Town Manager’s weekly newsletter to a large body of subscribers (2,700 residents), a separate email to newsletter subscribers highlighting the survey, and requests for feedback on Social Media. Press coverage of the project also included links to the survey which helped generate awareness of the Town’s desire for public input. Additionally, we kept the survey open for over 60 days to give residents ample time to participate.
We’re thrilled the survey generated so much interest and are grateful to the residents who took time to share their valuable opinions. San Anselmo residents are clearly invested in the vitality of our downtown and interest in providing feedback on this initiative was high: over 500 people completed the survey, which is the second highest response rate to a survey the town has ever recorded. The survey’s questions focused on residents’ leisure interests, current uses of Creek Park, desired attributes for the future Commons space, and which park amenities would compel them to spend more time downtown.
Highlights of the results include:
- 90% of respondents were from San Anselmo
- Excellent cross representation from all Neighborhoods
- 82% of respondents have lived in the town 15 plus or 5-15 years (53% and 29% respectively)
- Most respondents visit Downtown San Anselmo 4-7 or 2-3 times per week (37% and 32% respectively)
- Respondents are knowledgeable of Creek park: 99% have visited
- Walking is cool: 76% choose to walk there today
- Top activities for use of Creek Park currently: community events such as Beatles in the Park, use as a walking shortcut to the grocery store or Greenfield Avenue, meet with friends or family, read or relax, take public transport from the Hub,
- New amenities are desired: the top draws would be a walking path along the creek (62%), better aesthetic tie-in to downtown (48%), enhanced entertainment space (41%), more outdoor gathering space (39%), improved visibility of park from surrounding streets (37%), a new town center/destination (33%), (See graph here for complete results)
- Little desire to maintain the status quo: only 7% responded that no changes are needed
These resident-supplied insights played a critical role in informing the competition brief supplied to the 7 landscape design firms selected to move on in the Reimagine Creek Park competition. We are also surveying downtown merchants and will relay their feedback & ideas to the design finalists too. We’re thankful so many residents and merchants offered their time and opinions to help inform this critical stage of the design process. Their participation ensures that the design of the new Commons space will reflect the diverse interests and needs of our community.